With Map and Compass Basics you will learn:
• What magnetic declination is and how to set a compass for the declination in your area.
• How to use a map and compass to confidently hike cross-country where there are no roads, signs, or trails.
• How to use the Public Land Survey System (Township and Range) to pinpoint your location practically anywhere in the western U.S.
• Which compasses are best for outdoor recreation like hiking, hunting, bird watching, backpacking, and camping.
• How to set, sight, and read a compass.
• How to plot directions on a map with a compass.
• Why a global positioning system complements map and compass skills but does not replace them.
Watch some clips from this video on the Safari Skills Channel on YouTube